Sources of players
Emerging squad players will mainly be sourced from the Raw Squads.
In exceptional circumstances players may move directly into an Emerging Squad from school and club environments. In this instance players will be nominated by an educated club coach or school teacher for observation by an Emerging Squad coach. The player will be reviewed on the appropriate performance components within the tactical and technical performance factors and at this stage is invited for a confirmation period.
Selection for the Ulster Emerging Squad training is by:
- Completion of a Player Profile tool indicating an overall rating of GREEN
- Liaison between the player, school/junior club, parent, the Talent ID and Development Officer, a Raw Squad coach, a Emerging Squad coach and an independent party
- Successful completion of a 12 week confirmation period, evaluating:
- Joining and attending a junior club
- Performance factors found on the Player Profile tool
Players on the Emerging Performance Squads are expected to complete 138 training hours per year as part of the Programme.
Players on the Emerging Performance Squads will be expected to compete in tournaments as agreed with the Talent ID and Development Officer.
Players will be expected to adhere to the Player Agreement.
Emerging Squad players will be evaluated using the Player Profile tool every 12 months. Using a RAG system, the following outcomes are possible:
- Red – move into club
- Amber – retain in squad possible removal from squad at next review
- Green – retain in Squad
- Green – move up to High Performance
All players will receive feedback indicating their strengths and potential development areas
Players currently training in the Emerging Performance Squads can be found by downloading the document: