Sources of players for the Raw Squads
Raw squad players will mainly be sourced from schools or junior clubs.
Selection for the Raw Squads
Selection for the Ulster Raw Squad training is by:
- Completion of a “gifted identification” tool (Player Profile LITE 2014) indicating an overall rating of GREEN
- Liaison between the player, school/junior club, parent, the Talent ID and Development Officer and Raw Squad coach
- Successful completion of a 12 week confirmation period, evaluating:
- Joining or attending a junior club
- Performance factors found on the Player Profile Tool
Players on the Raw Performance Squads are expected to complete 72 training hours per year as part of the Programme.
Players on the Raw Performance Squads will be expected to compete in tournaments as agreed with the Talent ID and Development Officer
Players will be expected to adhere to the Player Agreement.
Raw Squad players will be evaluated using the Player Profile tool every 12 months. Using a RAG system, the following outcomes are possible:
- Red – move into club
- Amber – retain in squad possible removal from Squad at next review
- Green – retain in squad
- Green – move up to Emerging
All players will receive feedback indicating their strengths and potential development areas.
Players currently training in the Raw Performance Squads can be found by downloading the document: